[Sugar-devel] Heads-up: POSSE folks hacking in Fedora/Sugar this week and next

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Wed Jun 9 10:48:22 EDT 2010

Some of you may have noticed some new faces in #sugar - we (Walter
Bender, Peter Robinson, and I) are hanging out with a group of
professors (mostly from the Worcester area) who are in town this week
for http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE, a workshop for
learning how to get their students involved contributing to open source
projects. (In this case, Sugar, with Fedora as a dev platform.)

They've been learning to hack Sugar all week, and are in fact in #sugar
at this very moment tinkering away on the Measure Activity. Their feeds
haven't yet been added to Planet Sugar Labs (those requests are still
pending), but you can read some of their (great!) reflections so far at
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Planet.

So if you have a moment, pop in and say hello to:

* Peter Froehlich (Johns Hopkins) - pgf
* Karl Wurst (Worcester State College) - kwurst
* Nadimpalli Mahadev (Fitchburg State College) - Mahadev
* Kristina Striegnitz (Union College, Schenectady, NY) - kis
* Jerry Breecher (Clark University, Worcester MA) - diamond
* Mihaela Sabin (University of New Hampshire) - mihaela
* Gary Pollice (Worcester Polytechnic Institute) - gpollice
* Aparna Mahadev (Worcester State College) - aparna

Next week we'll have another - slightly larger - batch from RIT doing
the same thing, with myself, Chris Tyler, and Luke Macken focusing more
on how to make Fedora a better environment for
running/deploying/developing Sugar - if you have any thoughts in this
direction, please send comments our way! (Things we've come up with so
far: general Python development stuff, liveusb-creator hacks, SVG
rendering working strangely in different recent versions of Fedora... we
need to turn this into a proper ticket queue.)

Just wanted to let y'all know. I'll blog this to Planet in a moment.

--Mel