[Sugar-devel] initial commit to git?

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Sun Jun 6 19:16:55 EDT 2010

Many thanks, Walter, Luke and Sasha for all your suggestions. I've tried
them all and am still stymied. (I'm about at wit's end as well.)

I also did a complete ssh-keyget procedure (correctly, I think). Following
this, I went back to Gary Martin's original basic git push routine (signed
in at gitorious); the result is the dialog below:

[liveuser at localhost Activities]$ cd SMMClone.activity
[liveuser at localhost SMMClone.activity]$ git init
Initialized empty Git repository in
/home/liveuser/Activities/SMMClone.activity/.git/
[liveuser at localhost SMMClone.activity]$ git add .
[liveuser at localhost SMMClone.activity]$ git status
# On branch master
#
# Initial commit
#
# Changes to be committed:
#   (use "git rm --cached <file>..." to unstage)
#
# new file:   MANIFEST
# new file:   MoonMusic.csd
# new file:   SunMusic.csd
# new file:   activity/activity-sunmoonmusic.svg
# new file:   activity/activity.info
# new file:   csndsugui.py
# new file:   setup.py
# new file:   sunmoonmusic.py
#
[liveuser at localhost SMMClone.activity]$ git commit -a -m" Initial commit"
[master (root-commit) 896e920]  Initial commit
 create mode 100755 MANIFEST
 create mode 100755 MoonMusic.csd
 create mode 100755 SunMusic.csd
 create mode 100755 activity/activity-sunmoonmusic.svg
 create mode 100755 activity/activity.info
 create mode 100755 csndsugui.py
 create mode 100755 setup.py
 create mode 100755 sunmoonmusic.py
[liveuser at localhost SMMClone.activity]$ git push
gitorious at git.sugarlabs.org:sun-moon-music/mainline.git
The authenticity of host 'git.sugarlabs.org (140.211.167.221)' can't be
established.
RSA key fingerprint is 1f:8a:17:50:d0:1f:6d:34:83:3c:46:63:81:c0:cd:e2.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? y
Please type 'yes' or 'no': yes
Warning: Permanently added 'git.sugarlabs.org,140.211.167.221' (RSA) to the
list of known hosts.
No refs in common and none specified; doing nothing.
Perhaps you should specify a branch such as 'master'.
error: failed to push some refs to
'gitorious at git.sugarlabs.org:sun-moon-music/mainline.git'
[liveuser at localhost SMMClone.activity]$

-----
The line:
Perhaps you should specify a branch such as 'master'.
keeps showing up in these dialogs. To my knowledge there is *nothing but* a
"master." Maybe my latest projects are not setup correctly in gitorious
(though I think they are). Could someone please take a look? The project is
"Sun-Moon Music." (I've not seen anything strange at gitorious.)

FWIW, this initial commit to gitorious is now the *only* thing relative to
creating Sugar activities that I've been unable to eventually do on my own.
Either Alexei or Gary previously set up initial commits for Our Music and
Our Music MC (thanks again to both of you) - as I experienced problems then
as well. I really would like to be successful with this final step.

Further ideas most appreciated.

Art Hunkins