[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Pippy layout for code storage and interaction

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 14:38:06 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com>wrote:

> > I think you should revert to the original design.
>
> I agree that 'hiding' the action buttons away in a toolbar is rather
> unfortunate :-( , but wouldn't placing buttons as in the original
> layout eat up vertical space? Here are a few things to consider.
>
> 1. The original pippy layout had just the activity toolbar. However,
> for the next release I plan to add an edit toolbar, which will create
> a new 'tab' thus eating up some more vertical space. Work on this is
> mostly complete.
>
> 2. I'd like to know how often are the buttons actually used? When
> people code, they usually don't like to take their hands of the
> keyboard and prefer quick keyboard shortcuts rather than using the
> touchpad or mouse. However, the situation may be very different in the
> case of students, and the positioning of these buttons in the original
> layout seems to reflect that.
>
> 3. Not sure if this can make the next immediate release but I also had
> in mind to have multiple tabbed gtksourceview windows rather than just
> having a single window[1]. If implemented, this would eat up some
> vertical space as well.
>
> Comments?
>
> [1] http://people.sugarlabs.org/anish/pippy-experimental.png

To conserve vertical screen space, consider extending the 'Examples'
navigation tree bar on the left to include a separate tree block for 'My
code' that would appear above or below the 'Examples' tree in a
separately sizable lower or upper border. Code that would otherwise be
displayed in separate tabs in your tabs prototype would, instead, be
accessed by selecting a leaf in this tree.  (Keyboard tabbing  could be
arranged to cycle through the 'My code' leaves.)

Further tooling of the code tree could be added at some point through
right-click-, hover-, & alt-key-revealed leaf palettes, which might show the
code size, create, modified dates, or other useful attributes.

Thanks for improving Pippy!

           --Fred