[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Problem with Pippy layout on <=0.84

Anish Mangal anishmangal2002 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 12:59:50 EDT 2010

> I think you should revert to the original design.

I agree that 'hiding' the action buttons away in a toolbar is rather
unfortunate :-( , but wouldn't placing buttons as in the original
layout eat up vertical space? Here are a few things to consider.

1. The original pippy layout had just the activity toolbar. However,
for the next release I plan to add an edit toolbar, which will create
a new 'tab' thus eating up some more vertical space. Work on this is
mostly complete.

2. I'd like to know how often are the buttons actually used? When
people code, they usually don't like to take their hands of the
keyboard and prefer quick keyboard shortcuts rather than using the
touchpad or mouse. However, the situation may be very different in the
case of students, and the positioning of these buttons in the original
layout seems to reflect that.

3. Not sure if this can make the next immediate release but I also had
in mind to have multiple tabbed gtksourceview windows rather than just
having a single window[1]. If implemented, this would eat up some
vertical space as well.

Comments?

[1] http://people.sugarlabs.org/anish/pippy-experimental.png

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 29 July 2010 23:37, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wanted to get an opinion on what should be the best way around this.
>> When I detect an old version, should I create a new 'Actions' toolbar
>> with the the run, stop (different from Activity-stop) and clear
>> buttons[3], or revert to the original Pippy layout, wherein they were
>> displayed between the gtksourceview and the virtual terminal emulator
>> widgets.
>
> I think you should revert to the original design.

Anish

P.S. We need a better theme for gtk.Notebook tabs.