[Sugar-devel] Changing bundle_id and version scheme for Etoys

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jul 29 03:43:14 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 00:23 -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> > There's no reason to have both a filename and a dbus-like name for the
> > same thing. The former must already be unique on both distribution sites
> > and in the Activities directory.
>
> I claim we should be using the dbus-like name for "both distribution
> sites and in the Activities directory".

Then activity bundle files should be named like so?

   org.laptop.Browse-42.xo
   org.sugarlabs.Browse-666.xo

And their installed counterparts would look like these, correct?

   ~/Activities/org.laptop.Browse.activity
   ~/Activities/org.sugarlabs.Browse.activity

No version number, since we don't seem to allow parallel installation of
multiple instances of the very same activity, right?

If a developer takes over development of, say, org.laptop.Measure,
should the developer rename the bundle to org.codewiz.Measure or leave
it alone? In case of a rename, how do they ensure a smooth upgrade path?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but global uniqueness is a worthwhile
feature to have only if with well-defined semantics and a clear purpose.