[Sugar-devel] Changing bundle_id and version scheme for Etoys

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Jul 27 19:57:39 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 18:21 -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>
> > This is a nicely decentralized mechanism for choosing identifiers
> > which are guaranteed by construction never to conflict.
>
> It is indeed a simple and nice scheme, but why is such uniqueness a
> desiderable feature when developers can--and in fact *do*--often
> distribute forks of existing activities?

I think this is an orthogonal problem.  I'm sure that some disagree.

> (if the bundle_id were instead changed, funny things would happen when a
> user tries to install both bundles on the same machine).

Bug.

> > If sugarlabs is willing to maintain a mechanism for ensuring
> > uniqueness, feel free to prepend org.sugarlabs to whatever activities
> > you have "registered".
>
> A good surrogate could be that no two activities with the same name can
> be uploaded to ASLO.

Translated name?  English name?  No Spanish name may conflict with a
Portuguese or English name?  Seems a bit strange to me.

> > > For all other purposes, the bundle_id is just a string which could
> > > contain anything. The bundle_id "org.tuxpaint.sugar-is-lame" worked
> > > flawlessly for all this time.
> >
> > Yes, this identifier is childish, but conforms precisely to the rules
> > outlined above, which ensure its uniqueness.
>
> It's not actually conforming, it has hyphens! ;-)

Oh, that's right, I *did* have a legit reason to dislike the name! ;-)
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )