[Sugar-devel] Changing bundle_id and version scheme for Etoys

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jul 27 17:14:54 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 17:56 +0100, Lucian Branescu wrote:
> If it doesn't bother you that vpri is in the bundle name and VPRI
> themselves don't have a problem with it, I don't think you should
> bother changing it. For example many activities are org.laptop.*, even
> though they're now developed under Sugar Labs.

The very notion of using dbus names as unique identifiers for bundles
seems superfluous.

The bundle base name (e.g Record) should be unique by itself, because
you can't have two directories named "Record.activity" in your
activities directory.

Even if it were possible to install org.sugarlabs.Record and
com.microsoft.Record in parallel, having two different activities with
the same name would be confusing and almost never what the user
expected.

Perhaps there's still something we could do to simplify the design
without breaking backwards compatibility: if an activity doesn't specify
a bundle_id, its dbus name could be derived from the bundle name by
pre-pending "org.sugarlabs." (or  org.laptop., it doesn't matter) to it.

For all other purposes, the bundle_id is just a string which could
contain anything. The bundle_id "org.tuxpaint.sugar-is-lame" worked
flawlessly for all this time.