[Sugar-devel] behaviour of F-keys on XO HS

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jul 17 10:48:40 EDT 2010

On 17.07.2010, at 09:31, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> El Thu, 15-07-2010 a las 23:08 -0400, Paul Fox escribió:
>> i think everyone (except
>> apple, i'm learning tonight) agrees this is the correct setup
>> when not in sugar.
>
> Lenovo also seems to be switching to the Apple layout:
>
> http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/thinkpadedgepost16.jpg
> http://www.thinkpads.com/wp-content/gallery/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-13-review/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-13-keyboard.jpg
>
> Almost all the historic F-key mappings have an alternative CTRL+key or
> ALT+key mapping in modern HIGs. Keys to control laptop volume and
> brightness are accessed much more frequently, so it's foreseeable that
> over time they will supplant the F-keys in PC keyboards.

+1

IMHO pressing "fn" to get "f1" to "f10" makes sense. In my daily routine I much more often change volume or brightness than use the numbered F keys.

Looking at this again

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Spanish_Non-membrane_Keyboard

I propose:

	f1-f8 produce F key codes both with and without the fn key
	f9-f12 produce F codes only with fn, and volume/brightness events without fn.

So holding down fn always gets you the F key codes, you can change volume/brightness without modifier, and as a bonus you can use the first eight F keys even without the fn key.

This mapping should work both in Sugar and outside.

- Bert -