[Sugar-devel] Problem with Jhbuild and Fedora 11

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Jul 17 10:36:43 EDT 2010

El Thu, 15-07-2010 a las 11:38 -0300, Daniel Castelo escribió:

>         Sascha is the sugar-jhbuild maintainer, so if he says that we
>         should
>         drop F11 and you want to keep using it, then either you make a
>         deal
>         with him or you will have to maintain your own fork of it.
>

> No problem. As soon as possible I move to a next version.
> Thanks for all.

I would like to keep F11 support around a little longer too.

If no supported distribution requires building metacity from source,
maybe we could drop it?

BTW: what's the status of dropping GConf-dbus? Besides being
unmaintained, it makes Metacity crash and other evil things. There's an
easy alternative of running multiple user accounts. The recipe is quite
simple.

We should strive for *zero* external modules built from sources. They
cause all sort of build problems that are very hard to diagnose for a
typical Sugar developer who has no knowledge of the lower OS layers.

It's quite obvious to me that we're loosing contributions because
building Sugar is unnecessarily harder than building the Linux kernel or
gcc.