[Sugar-devel] CIA bot disabled

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sat Jul 17 10:17:16 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Bernie Innocenti's message of Sat Jul 17 13:10:01 +0000 2010:
> El Fri, 16-07-2010 a las 10:52 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso escribió:
> > have disabled again the CIA bot because it's reporting old commits
> > when people merge.
> Git does merges on the local clone, so it can't be it.
Actually it can be. Merges change the commit id, so "old" changes get reported as "new".
I partially worked around this by filtering out commits done by somebody else than me in "my" clones. This still spams the channel with commits from me that made it into mainline. I usually deactivate CIA while I push those merges, but often forget to do so.

> To avoid polluting the history with spurious merges, people should
> rebase their patches on top of the remote branch before pushing them.
That only works if the changes are local - i.e. not if you've published them on gitorious clone.

> > Please only activate it once uninteresting commits are filtered out.
> The cia glue script for gitorious could be made a lot smarter, but I
> have no time to look into it. Anyone else?
I finally changed it to add the name of the repository (e.g. "mainline") so we can now do some filtering on it.

> I suspect that many irc floods are caused by activity on clones. Perhaps
> we could exclude those.
Perhaps we should for the time being. While clones contain interesting activity as well (IMO even more interesting than mainline), I have no idea how we could filter out the merge spam. I already filter out the merge commits themselves for my clone, but filtering the "merged" commits is beyond my git foo.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/