[Sugar-devel] question about jarabe/view/palette.py

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 12 16:14:57 EDT 2010

On 12 Jul 2010, at 20:47, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Sascha Silbe
> <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Walter Bender's message of Mon Jul 12 17:22:55 +0000 2010:
>>
>>> I've attached a screen dump to show what I am trying accomplish.
>> [Screenshot shows Activity icon in Frame with "Write to Journal" palette item]
>>
>> Why don't you just tell the Journal to open the details screen of the current activity instance? That should be rather easy to implement (there's an existing DBus interface to do it and probably even a nice Python API). It would also avoid duplicating functionality.
>
> I was just reusing the existing namingalert functionality, but going
> directly to the Journal would probably be better. Is there an obvious
> example of the existing DBus interface?

Yes that would be a nice reuse of the existing detail view, we would need to make sure there is an obvious way to get back to the activity with one click from there. Leaving the Journal in a detail view mode would also be confusing to users visiting the Journal later (in much the same way that folks are confused by the home list view mode when they expect to see the fav ring).

Regards,
--Gary