[Sugar-devel] opportunity for faster load time

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Jul 12 14:10:45 EDT 2010

Hi,

(Disclaimer: this is on sugar-0.84)

As I was in the area I decided to measure how long it takes for sugar
to iterate over the favourite activities and put them in the
favourites view, as it does every time it starts.

I was a bit surprised to see the result: between 1.6 and 1.8 seconds,
making this probably one of the larger delays in startup. (I'm
measuring the execution time of the loop inside
FavoritesView.__connect_to_bundle_registry_cb). This is on an XO-1
with 24 favourite activities.

I didn't dig further.

If anyone is interested in some performance work this might be a good
place to start. I did a similar measurement once on sugar-0.82 and it
was much faster, IIRC.

Daniel