[Sugar-devel] Announce: OLPC software strategy.

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Jul 8 15:49:10 EDT 2010

Hi Sascha,

   > I trust the license will allow me to: 1. Build a new (complete,
   > working) firmware image 2. Install it on my own XO-1.75.
   > 3. Distribute the image (+ source) to other XO-1.75 users so they
   > can install it.

We expect this to be no problem, just as building your own OFW+EC
binary blob and redistributing them right now is no problem.  (The
encumbered PS/2 code we're talking about is already present in the
XO-1 EC build.)

   > What about the compiler? IIUC currently a commercial compiler is
   > required. If that continues to be the case (as I expect it to),
   > would it be possible for OLPC to provide the (probably very few)
   > users interested in hacking on the EC code access to a machine
   > having this compiler installed? I.e. does the license OLPC has
   > for this compiler allow more than one user (on the same machine)
   > to use it (if necessary sequentially, ensured by using a lock
   > file) and would OLPC be willing to give users access to such a
   > machine?

Good news here too:  we've moved to the free SDCC compiler, so there
should be no problem here.  I don't know full details, but there have
been some incompatibilities seen between SDCC and the EC code in the
past, so staying with SDCC is going to be conditional on being able
to find a way around those.  SDCC is the plan, though.

For more questions, I think we should move to the OLPC devel list,
and I'll let Richard Smith answer because this is his project.  :)

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child