[Sugar-devel] Activity list & favorites view

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 5 23:43:31 EDT 2010

On 6 Jul 2010, at 04:09, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 12:47 +1000, James Cameron wrote:
>
>> The only time I've seen this is when the keyboard F2 key was pressed
>> instead of F3.  ;-}
>
> lol, that could *really* be the correct explanation!
>
>> Activity ring in list view with a bogus search string also looks
>> remarkably empty.  It persists when switching between views.
>
> I wonder why we don't allow searching in the favourites view as well.

Long outstanding bug I burnt my fingers years back in my youth :-) Feedback was that folks were accidentally hitting keys while in fav. view. This would trigger an unexpected search and user would be lost – usually left looking at an empty results screen.

Problem was that the home fav. view search field was focused by default and any key presses landed there. The canvas could not accept focus, so I submitted a (hack) patch to defocus the search field by focusing on the ring toolbar button instead. Cscott didn't like it (fair enough), and went to watch some baseball match instead – I slagged him off for it – release went ahead without any patch ;-b

Search in home fav view has been disabled ever since.

I'm sure there are better solutions, probably a drop down menu with all results would be best (rather than switching the user to list view), but switching to list view would be a fair start if the search input text field can be defocused in a friendly was so as not to catch stray key strokes.

Regards,
--Gary