[Sugar-devel] Patches to mail list, or patches to trac?

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Sun Jul 4 11:45:43 EDT 2010

My personal suggestions follow:

> Patches to mail list, or patches to trac?

Use the mailing list to get feedback.

Use Trac to publish histories of work on a theme.

> Personally I read mail in a bunch of different places/devices and there's no
> way I can currently (and sanely) keep track of all the list activity and know
> who suggested what, what was actually agreed, and what is still outstanding.

I read mail all over the place too. Patchwork and the ability to download the
complete sugar-devel archives in mbox form help me keep it all together.

> I've had a few patches and reviews now from kind folk posting to the mail-list,
> but for me, I've ended up having to ask folks to create git clones so I can
> pull in patches in a maintainable work flow.

Like you, I also find 'pull this branch' instructions helpful for testing
purposes. Maybe folks who want their patches to be tested or merged (as well as
read) should be publishing 'pull this branch' instructions or headers?

(NB: When 'pull this branch' instructions aren't available, I use patchwork to
group the patches I'm interested in. Then I download the resulting mbox for use
with "git am". This works pretty well.)

Regards,

Michael