[Sugar-devel] Q on tracker cleanup / triage

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 21:29:00 EDT 2010

On 4 Jul 2010, at 00:11, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> 500+ unclosed bugs causes problems. I feel intimidated & overwhelmed by this number. I also find it difficult to find material sift through bug reports, to find areas where I can help (although, at the moment, I'm quite content with sugar-love level problems). However, 500+ bugs isn't that accurate. Some have been identified as upstream problems, but their resolution status remains open.
>
> I suggest that we make more use of the "wontfix" resolution status. In 5 minutes, I've found some likely candidates. "wontfix" comes with a high risk of alienating people submitting bugs, but a polite note saying that it's upstream or possibly something like  "Unfortunately, we have higher priority areas to work on right now. However we would welcome a patch if you are still wiling to work on this issue. It's great that you've taken the time to submit the bug, and we have looked into resolving things for you."
>
> Some candidates:
>
> wontfix - upstream
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1307
>
> wontfix - other priorities
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/288
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/292
>
> duplicates
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/172
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/394
>
> I think that resolving bugs, even if by using the wontfix tag will make other areas easier.
>
> Also, I don't know if I have the permission to change resolution status when something hasn't been touched for 12+ months. If I were to change status on likely candidates, would this anger the other developers?

I know it's sensitive, for us slightly more delicate souls, but if you feel strongly about a bug status... I'd say go for its change of status. It will trigger either action/indifference from genuinely  interested parties, possibly patches/discussion, action, and glory ;)

It seems fair to say there is some level of (completely understandable) analysis paralysis for some level of bugs. Bug triage activity is at a low at the moment. Don't apologise for bringing that task back up in everyones focus/face.

Regards,
--Gary