[Sugar-devel] F11-0.88 unmerged patches summary

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 1 19:12:20 EDT 2010

On 1 Jul 2010, at 22:01, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both Gary and James agreed?
>>>
>>> I wonder about performance, as fills on the XO-1 are very slow and if
>>> the fading was very smooth it could have a negative impact on the UX.
>>
>> Yes, I was half way through an email suggesting we drop the NotifyRedAlert and use the NotifyAlert in the original Journal write error patch. Avoid the controversy and still get the main patch fix in. We can always revisit the Notifications as a separate design cycle, but I don't think it's a critical feature for the needed fix.
>>

> Ok, how about a normal alert (no fancy colors), that doesn't get timed
> out, and displays an error icon beside the text.

Hmm I don't think we have an official sugar error icon designed that I can remember... If we add an error icon it should be something we can use as standard else where where as needed. In my draft post, that never made it out as I replied to the related email from Tomeu instead, I was trying to flesh out what the distinction may be between various alert levels. Seems a foggy area right now, e.g. the discussions on backup/restore wipe all your work if you make a mistake type case is even more critical (in my mind at least) than a single Journal failed to write a file to USB case. Once we start adding levels of alertness - custom icons, colour, border thickness, strobe lighting, electric shock via touch pad ;) we seem fall into a trap of ongoing classification.

> If that works for everyone, I'll send forth the patch.

Normal alert would work for me, way better than where we are now. I genuinely think we need the design team to chew over and detail sugar notifications/alerts needs again, work has been done, some implemented, some not, but it needs clarification, some goals set for implementing missing parts, and a nice wiki page with pretty pictures showing example use cases ;)

BTW, what happens if a user tries a second time when an alert is already displayed? Not that this is anything to do with your patch, just wondering how it's currently handled in Sugar (the four possibilities; stacked alerts; 2nd alert appears after first is dismissed; 2nd alert is just ignored; something terrible involving virtual smoke and a reboot).

> Currently there is no Alert class which doesn't timeout and has only
> one 'Ok' button. The closest is ConfirmationAlert (screenshot
> attached)

Could you use a longer timeout if you think the message is more critical? The Cancel/OK suggests it makes a difference what you click, and that you need to make a specific decision. FWIW: The timeout sugar style is so that folks that can't necessarily read text yet (or well enough) are not stuck with dialogue messages that are of no use to them anyway.

Regards,
--Gary