[Sugar-devel] datastore situation (was Re: Hypothetical sugar-0.90 material, draft 1.)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jul 1 03:17:33 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 16:02, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> I think this is an unfair recount of my work, so I'm going to put some
>> light on it and ask that my frankness is excused.
>
> Hi Tomeu,
>
> I am sorry. Don't mean to attack your work. I have seen 3
> implementations (os767 -- not sure the sugar version --, 0.82 and
> 0.84). Maybe my accounting is such because I also count the "external
> disk" handling under DS.

What shipped in os767 was mostly the same as in 0.82, plus some bugfixes.

> It is true that 0.84 had significant enhancements -- and I know those
> come from your work. Those enhancements were very good progress.
> Still, the DS in 0.84 has gaps -- no offense intended.

Yes, I know you are concerned about the Journal in 0.84 not being able
to read the metadata from usb sticks written by the 0.82 DS. I'm sorry
that wasn't there from the start.

> And of course, you, me and everyone involved have worked under a lot
> of pressure and confusion.
>
> What worries me is that we _always_ have people with a plan or three
> for the DS. They are cool plans, and they... completely ignore the
> gaps.
>
> My complaining about it is clearly just pissing people off (and
> doesn't seem to encourage anyone towards "let's fix the gaps" patches)
> so I'll stop whining. Will try to find time to craft patches instead.

Guess we should give more visibility to those gaps, one of the main
reasons why I have pushed for a deployment team is so we have some
buzz going on in our community about what is actually needed in the
field, in the hope that it would help volunteers have the most impact
with their work.

I don't doubt there can be pleasure in experimenting but I also think
that contributors would prefer to work on things that can actually
have a positive impact if it was clearer what is needed.

Regards,

Tomeu