[Sugar-devel] review queue

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jan 27 14:18:05 EST 2010

Hi Luke,

On 27 Jan 2010, at 15:35, Luke Faraone wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:33, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>>> What about submitting the patches to a mailing list (which is as simple as
>>> invoking "git send-email" for the submitter) for review instead of on Trac
>>> where significant effort is required not only to post but also to locate and
>>> inspect them?
>>
>> I like this from the patches POV, but I would miss the tracking part
>> of it. The book Producing Open Source Software talks about the
>> importance of the bug tracker and the mailing list being integrated, I
>> think this is similar to Debian's system?
>
> *cough* Launchpad lets you mark bug attachments as patches, so you can
> quickly do a query to find unreviewed ones. We can do the same in trac
> with keywords, probably.

Can you, (or other Launchpad focused minds) give the dev list a follow-up on the successes (and failures) of the move the SoaS distro made to Launchpad. I'd hoped it would generate some clear data on the matter. It's been some time now and I at least would be very interested in how folks (including wider community and deployments) felt the move went.

I'm still concerned that another move for core could kill more contributions than we would gain (assuming there is real measurable benefit in a move) by pulling the rug out under our current core teams workflow (and loosing a month or three trying to correct all the kinks, catch up, and regenerate active participation).

I understand there are admin and maintenance benefits to a Launchpad move, but (and no disrespect to the much appreciated work/time Bernie has put in) I'd hate to see the Sugar team effort diluted and distracted by such change of obvious mid term impact.

Regards,
--Gary