[Sugar-devel] [support-gang] Collaboration woes

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 19:45:55 EST 2010

Sascha and everyone,

I made a bit more progress.  On F10 I was able to remove the jabber
server entries from two instances of Sugar running with different user
IDs.  They are able to see each other and Chat works between them.  I
disabled the firewall in F10, since there was no setting that simply
said "don't interfere with Salut".  I have no idea whether that was
necessary to make salut work.

When I tried the same exact thing on F11 I was not able to get the two
instances of Sugar running on two different Linux user ids to see each
other.  I disabled the firewall there too, even rebooted afterwards
but no dice.

On F10 jabber.sugarlabs.org is useless.  Sugar can't see a single
damned buddy.  On F11 jabber.sugarlabs.org works great.  Sugar sees
lots of buddies, but perhaps not every buddy that exists, so my two
instances cannot see each other.

Another interesting thing about Sugar under F11: I can bring up Xephyr
for the second Linux user id by doing

su userid

but I CANNOT change the Network settings for the second user from that
instance of Sugar.  I can change her name and color but nothing else.
To change her Network settings I have to log out of my own account and
log in as her.  I have no such problem in F10.

I'm going to continue with the book as best I can under the circumstances.

James Simmons