[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] A frosty breeze is blowing over Sugar Land

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sun Jan 24 06:17:29 EST 2010

Dear Sugar Community,

Inventory

Until last Monday [1] Features could be proposed for inclusion into the
0.88 release following the Feature Policy [2]. The following Features
have been accepted for the upcoming 0.88 release [3].

Thanks to all the community members who contributed to the discussions
with feedback from the field, mockups, technical details and thoughts.
And of course thanks to the owners of the Features for stepping up,
taking responsibility and following the Feature Process. I think, we
again, made some progress in establishing this process by which
community ideas on how Sugar should evolve get transformed into
actionable proposals.

Forecast

We have certain Freezes approaching quickly [1]. Now the developers have
to contribute their bit and transform into coding heros.

*** API/ABI-Freeze: Monday Jan 25 2010
If your Feature adds or changes new API you have to land your code by
that date.

*** Feature-Freeze: Monday Feb 01
This affects all the 0.88 Features that has not been landed yet. The
code has to be reviewed by the module maintainer and landed by that
date. Exceptions might be considered by the release team but they will
be extremely rare. To request an exception send mail to
sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org, referencing the patches you would like
to land. It will have to be granted by two members of the release team,
on the base of community feedback. More Info at [4].

The design team have been going through another round of design
discussions for the 0.88 Features [5]. The team will work closely with
the developers to land the Features. And of course, we need review heros
now, too. This is an ongoing effort often overseen. The maintainers do a
great work of reviewing incoming patches and Features and make sure the
code is still maintainable after those additions and changes.

Happy coding, reviewing and designing,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Roadmap#Schedule
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Policy