[Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jan 22 04:34:07 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 06:07, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> Glad to hear you at least have it running. We'll have to investigate
> the helper-CD situation.

I think we are looking at a great probortunity here. We have a project
(SoaS) which has produced something that OLPC would like to use, but
it's not ready because SoaS lacks the resources to give it the needed
polish in the needed timeframe.

We can keep sitting looking at this problem, or we can use it as a
chance to grow our projects.

The particular technical area of the boot helper is general linux
knowledge plus some PC internals knowledge, this is very common in
developed countries.

I would suggest that the person that better knows the need (David
Leeming?) writes a few sentences describing the problem from his point
of view and explains the value that it will bring to the communities
he works with.

Then we can publish in the channels that we have already available
appropriately tuned messages that can make someone decide to spend
some of her time in maintaining the boot helper CD for each SoaS
release.

If we are able to learn to make successful calls for help, we will be
able to scale up our capacity significantly. We can like it or not,
but we depend _a lot_ on volunteers and we need to accept it and
operate according to that reality.

And Sugar Labs cannot take this job it alone in part because most of
the general public still thinks that OLPC laptops are running Windows.

Regards,

Tomeu

> regards.
>
> -walter
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:01 PM, David Leeming
> <david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am in Tuvalu and have been trying Blueberry with and without boot helper on a good PC desktop at our OLPC trial startup workshop.
>>
>> Pleased to say it works without the boot helper CD.
>>
>> The issue is definitely the boot helper. I encourage that a solution is found because the people for whom this is targeted should be able to just plug and play and not have to mess around with hard drive settings in BIOS. (I had to select select USB:Verbatim Storage as 1st hard drive). Most will therefore need a boot helper CD.
>> David

Farning