[Sugar-devel] virtual keyboard

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:53:59 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:30, Esteban Arias <earias at plan.ceibal.edu.uy> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in uruguay, we developed activity EscribirEspecial to children handicapped
> (http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4265).
> EscribirEspecial has a system scanning buttons to write and the activity
> writes on abiword.

What is the use case? What handicap calls for keyboard scanning rather
than, say, sticky keys, as in the Assistive Technologies packages in
regular Linux, or the lefthanded and righthanded Dvorak keyboard
layouts?

> Now, the idea are develop a virtual keyboard for sugar repositories (may be
> on last version or next) to write on different activities or different text
> entries of sugar.

Are you interested in supporting amputees from the Haitian earthquake
and from African civil wars, as in Rwanda? There are OLPC projects in
both of those countries.

> We started development virtual keyboard in spanish as an globalkey
> extension, with keyboard layout and keyboard type laptop xo.
> We use python-xlib to write on diferent text entries of the interface and
> gtk.dialog to show the virtualkeyboard.

Have you looked at Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface in
python-atspi?

http://www.earthtreasury.org/