[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sun Jan 17 17:52:36 EST 2010

On 01/17/2010 11:35 PM, Christian Marc Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Gary, these look really good! In particular, I think having the journal
> in the ring is a huge improvement.
>
> Still on the fence about "resume" vs. "start new". Either solution seems
> well solved for from a design standpoint--it is more a question of usability
> and cognitive model. I'm wondering if we should defer making "start new" the
> default until we have more test evidence.
>
> One interesting possibility that just came up is to work with Gerald's
> deployment in Westchester, NY. I hope to have the chance to talk to him
> about the possibility of running a few qualitative studies on the current
> release. Until we have, I'd personally feel more comfortable to leave the
> home view as is for the next build, adding only the journal to the ring,
> until we have further insight into how kids use activities.
>
> How would everyone feel about that?
>

> Christian

I can run studies in my school, too.

Though, I am not so sure how exactly we would measure resume vs 'start
new'. I guess you would need to test that with users that are not
familiar with Sugar yet. And then let half use 'start new' as default
and half resume and give them the same task to do. Of course you would
need to do that over a period of time to not get 'false' results.

Regards,
    Simon