[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN][FEATURE] 3G modem support

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sat Jan 16 14:47:25 EST 2010

On 01/15/2010 02:36 PM, Daniel Castelo wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2009 08:36 PM, mabente at paraguayeduca.org wrote:
>>> It has been discussed before and i have been working on it with Daniel
>>> Castelo from Uruguay.
>>>
>>> This is the link of the formal proposal, I will be updating it soon.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/3G_Support
>>
>> Hi Martin&  Daniel,
>>
>> thanks for proposing and working on this Feature!
>>
>> Your Feature has been accepted for the 0.88 release cycle. It has a
>> clear value for many Sugar users and the need has been expressed from
>> people from the field. It is, what I am especially happy about,
>> implemented by locals! From a technical point of view the changes are
>> not too invasive.
>>
>> * Design (from the Feature Page)*
>> An icon will be added to the frame when a modem is connected, and the
>> user will be able to connect and disconnect from there. Also, a section
>> will be added to the control panel that will allow entering the details
>> needed by the connection.
>>
>> We will have a design meeting this weekend [1]. Do you have any
>> particular questions regarding the UI for your Feature? Do you have an
>> icon for the frame device and the control panel already?
>>

> Great!! No, we don't have any icon.
>

>> Concerning the 0.88 release: The most important date is the Feature
>> Freeze Feb 01. The Feature must have been reviewed by the module
>> maintainer (in your case Tomeu for Sugar) and pushed to the repository.
>> I know that you are in contact with Tomeu already and patches are in
>> review. Furthermore please keep your Feature page up to date (testing
>> plan, release notes).
>>

> Ok. Thanks.

Thanks, for working on the page.

Here is the feedback from the design meeting:

the UI design looks good, a few minor suggestions:

===Device Icon===
- the disconnect option in the device icon palette should use an icon
just like other network devices.
- the connection time should be shown in the primary palette, eg.
"connected for 02:22" instead
-  data sent: make that: [UP] 23kb     [DOWN] 31 kb

===Control Panel===
- left align the options

===Icon===
Eben will follow up with an icon.