[Sugar-devel] Automated coverage testing?

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Thu Jan 14 05:06:35 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:48:17AM +1100, James Cameron wrote:

> Is there an automated test for Sugar or for activities?  Something
> that
> will act like a user and generate keyboard and mouse actions to
> exercise
> each feature at least once.
Like Rafael mentioned there was a GSoC project called SugarBot [1-4],
but no one volunteered for integrating it upstream [5]. There has been a
thread on sugar-devel about it.
Dogtail [6] seems to be used by Gnome and should work for Sugar as well
(I've had it manually attached to a Sugar session once so it's mostly a
matter of figuring out how to integrate/run it). I've tried to figure
out if/how the Gnome team runs fully automatic tests using dogtail
(JHBuild integration was developed at some point, but apparently never
got used) but didn't succeed due to lack of time.

_Any_ help on getting more automated testing done, especially involving
the GUI part, is greatly appreciated. It might sound boring, but will
help finding bugs in new features faster and thus accelerate Sugar
development.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/BugSquad/SugarBot
[2] http://code.google.com/p/sugarbot/w/list
[3] http://gsoc-sugarbot.blogspot.com/