[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jan 8 06:54:47 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 17:19, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> When they resume a previous activity, and they wanted to start a new
>> one, I have seen learners erasing the previous content and keep on
>> working in that activity.
>
> This is the purpose of resume-by-default. The idea arose in response to
> feedback from Uruguay, where students routinely filled their disk.  The
> situation became so severe that, infamously, children in Uruguay began to
> memorize the shell commands required to erase the Journal by force.

When at Uruguay, I was told that even after deleting the journal the
disk was full and they had to reflash. I guess this is because of temp
file leaks that have been fixed in later releases.

Also, resume-by-default would help with user-generated content, but
the biggest files on the journal will be downloads (except videos
taken in Record).

Regards,

Tomeu

Regards,

Tomeu

> If you are working on systems with larger than 1 GB disks, or students who
> do not use the machines full-time, then you will of course be far less
> likely to encounter this problem.  This is not to say that I know what the
> right solution is; I'm not at all sure.
>
> --Ben

Farning