[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Jan 8 02:31:29 EST 2010

Hi Vijit,

On 01/07/2010 12:45 PM, vijit singh wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> Yes, I believe that's a good point. It's a bit confusing at times. I myself
> got confused a few times in the beginning when I switched over from sugar
> 0.82 to 0.84 and was in a habit of clicking the activity icon at once as in
> sugar 0.82.
>
> I think a better option would be to -
>
> 1) show the start option for a fresh instance of the activity when someone
> hovers over the activity icon.
> 2) start a fresh instance when someone clicks left mouse button.
> 3) show the whole palette( including the previous instances) when someone
> clicks the right mouse button or waits after hovering.

So, if I understand you correctly, 'start a new activity' should be the
default behavior, when you left click on the activity icon - and this
should be represented in the primary palette (top), too. Actually, there
is a gconf option (/schemas/desktop/sugar/desktop/favorites_mode) that
can be toggled to change the behavior, the layout of the palette is not
changed though. Would be a good test to try it out.

Any comment about the delay of the palette?

Thanks,
    Simon