[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 7 11:19:30 EST 2010

Simon Schampijer wrote:
> When they resume a previous activity, and they wanted to start a new
> one, I have seen learners erasing the previous content and keep on
> working in that activity.

This is the purpose of resume-by-default. The idea arose in response to
feedback from Uruguay, where students routinely filled their disk.  The
situation became so severe that, infamously, children in Uruguay began to
memorize the shell commands required to erase the Journal by force.

If you are working on systems with larger than 1 GB disks, or students who
do not use the machines full-time, then you will of course be far less
likely to encounter this problem.  This is not to say that I know what the
right solution is; I'm not at all sure.

--Ben