[Sugar-devel] New Activity

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 6 12:29:22 EST 2010

Mark DeMayo wrote:
> I am in the olpc class at RIT and I was looking for some feedback on an idea
> that I had for an activity. Here is a link to my wiki which includes an
> example of the activity. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

I think it's great.  Three points:

1.  Users probably don't want to play many games of the same operation
(e.g. x+y=10), and the teacher probably doesn't want to create a new game
for every operation.  You should allow users to select a range of
operations (e.g. numbers up to 12, + - and *) and have the game select a
random operation from the set for each game.

2.  There are some interesting possibilities for using network collab
between users and teachers, but work on that last.  To start, users should
just punch in the operation (or range of operations) when the activity
launches.  Teachers can just tell the students what settings to use, and
then look at the screens to verify.

3.  The visual structure of the game seems almost identical to Gnome's
Tetravex.  In the spirit of Open Source, you should consider reusing the
Tetravex gameboard display code.

--Ben