[Sugar-devel] g.sl.o issues for Karma and perhaps other activities

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Jan 2 14:37:42 EST 2010

Sorry it took some time to answer this thread. I'm still recovering from
a new year's eve in Times Square :-)

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 12:01 -0500, Wade Brainerd wrote:
> How badly do you need a user friendly repository creator like
> Gitorious?
>
> If it's not important, you can just use GitWeb which is trivial to set
> up.
>
> I guess the important thing to consider is that Git can handle
> distributing and merging *code* changes across as many servers as you
> want.  But if you want the metadata like project descriptions updated,
> you'll have to setup cron or a manual process like that.
>
> Honestly, 60 projects doesn't sound like too much work to set up by
> hand on both servers, compared with the amount of work to actually
> develop the lessons...  Setting up a project on g.sl.o only takes a
> minute or so.

The problem with managing many repositories by hand is not just setting
them up.  Once you have plenty of people accessing these repositories,
you'll need to implement fine-grained access control. The number of
access requests probably grows very quickly, proportionally to the
number of developers and repositories. Soon or later, your gitmaster
will become buried in support requests.

That said, Gitorious is a complex Rails application. Compared to other
web applications, it was quite hard to deploy and maintain. Indefero
(http://www.indefero.net/) sounds like a much simpler alternative that I
would investigate.

Finally, we've been planning to migrate to the Nokia instance of
Gitorious for a while. We're currently waiting for management approval,
for which I have no ETA. We'll ping them again after the holidays.

Meanwhile, I would appreciate if someone would like to experiment with a
fresher installation of Gitorious. Bryan, if you feel like working on
it, I could create a gitorious account for you on Sunjammer.

I'm open to other possibilities, too. It would be great if we could
share our development infrastructure.

PS: Bryan, you were right: Avatar was fantastic!