[Sugar-devel] Turtle Art on Activities.sugarlabs.org

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:02:45 EST 2010

David,

Much of what you describe is similar to what I do in Get Internet
Archive Books.  I use the Internet Archive's advanced search form and
make a fat client in Python to work with it.  The big advantage of
using this rather than just the website is that searching is easier in
my client, and when you download a book using my client I put metadata
and a nice meaningful title in the Journal entry, whereas if you just
download the file from the website you get an ugly file name and its
URL as the Journal title.

If I was doing this (don't get the idea I'm volunteering!) I'd have a
similar client Activity that works in both directions plus a server
component (Java servlet, PHP, whatever).  For uploads I'd do a
multipart form post with the fields corresponding to metadata in the
Journal plus the file contained in the Journal.  In that way you could
easily send all the Journal information to a data store on the server,
including buddy name and colors, title, description, MIME type, etc.

The user in upload mode would see a Journal list not unlike the one
View Slides uses for images, except it would be limited to those
Journal types the Activity would support uploading to the server.

For searching and downloading it would work pretty much like Get
Internet Archive Books does now, but instead of creating Journal
entries with a MIME type it would put the Activity ID in there so the
downloaded entries could be resumed using Turtle Art or whatever it
was that had created them.

I think this would work a bit better than using ASLO because you could
preserve all the metadata this way.

James Simmons