[Sugar-devel] Turtle Art on Activities.sugarlabs.org

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:03:29 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The other day during an infrastructure meeting, Walter brought up some
> > thought on how to enable kids to exchange Turtle Art projects....
> >
> > Alsroot has been thinking about how to do this through a.sl.o since he
> > became the activities.sugarlabs.org code maintainer.
> >
> > The high level view is that someone can easily upload Turtle Art
> creations
> > to somewhere and then they, or others, can go to a portal to download
> other
> > Turtle Art creations.
> >
> > Client side, this would require:
> > 1. Adding a widget to either the journal or the TA activity to upload the
> TA
> > Bundle.
> > 2. Adding a TA bundle installer to handler TA Bundle downloads.
> >
> > Server side, this would require:
> > 1. A place to accept TA bundle uploads.
> > 2. A search-able place from which to download TA bundles
> >
> > We have some similar systems we can look to as examples.
> > 1. Scratch -- Scratch has an upload button and users can download scratch
> > projects from --  http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/browse/newest
> > 2. ASLO --  Users upload XO bundles via a web interface and download via
> > web interface.
> >
> > My initial instinct is to see if ASLO can be adopted to fit this need.
> > Primarily because we have it, it works, and it is scalable.  On the other
> > hand, if the only tool in one's toolbox is a hammer, everything looks
> like a
> > nail. (How is that for over using clichés and buzzword?)
> >
> > Considerations:
> > ASLO rocks:)
> > ASLO can be adapted to handle various file types.  For example:
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2
> >
> > Each file type can have a separate look and feel.
> >
> > Is the activity creation and upload process too complicated for young
> users?
> >
> > Moving forward:
> > Would it be possible to journal or TA widget which:
> > 1.  Walks the student though a upload wizard.
> > 2.  Combines the TA project into a into a bundle with the metadata
> generated
> > in the wizard.
> > 3.  Sends the bundle to activites.sl.o/uploads
>
> I am not sure what you are asking? How is this different that just
> using Browse to upload files from the Journal?

IIRC, Uploading via the browser requires the uploader fill in several fields
on the server and provide a link to the file they want to upload.  This
results in a server driven workflow (pull).  I am thinking of a client
driven (push) use case where the client sends a bundle with the required
meta data to a URL.  From there, ALSO processes the bundle+metadate with out
further user intervention.  This requires a bit of client side prethinking:
1. Is the upload a registered ASLO user? If not, ask them to register.
2. Does the activity already exist and this is a new version? Ask one set of
question.
3. Is this a new activity? Ask a more involved set of questions.

My questions are:
1.Is this requiring 'too much' of a young user who just wants to upload a
project?
2. Are we trying to pound in a screw with a hammer?

David

I realize that I am obsessed with ASLO and tend to stretch it beyond its
usefulness

-walter