[Sugar-devel] [FIELDBACK] New toolbar design

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sun Feb 14 03:04:14 EST 2010

Hi,

I did a little survey in the Planetarium pilot last week [1]. The
subject was "Start new" vs "Restart" in the home view. Christian did
provide a test case and I made a Soas version of Sugar that let's you
change the behavior with a button in the Home View [2].

While of course there were interesting observations to make about
starting activities one other user feedback caught my eye, too. There
was a question in the survey: "What would you like to see changed in
Sugar?". Kids are often not verbose about those things, though after a
while one learner, said that she would like to change the "stopping of
an activity" behavior. She said it was complex and she was always
confused about it and that she had to ask me about it very often. Note,
in my class I use Sugar 0.84 with the old toolbar design. I showed her
the new toolbars and she was quite pleased about it.

This all to say, thanks to everyone for making this happen in 0.86! It
is a great step forward for learners. And like Walter did suggest the
other day, it would be great to move the old style activities to the new
design. I highly encourage the activity team to do so.

Thanks,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Deployments/Planetarium
[2] http://shell.sugarlabs.org/~erikos/soas-design-test-DE.iso,