[Sugar-devel] Activity & SoaS Licensing Concerns

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 20:41:52 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 4:15 AM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>wrote:

> Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I've lately taken the task of packaging more activities to get us a
> >> reasonably user experience for the next iteration of SoaS. The normal
> >> review process requires an application to be properly and clearly
> >> licensed. I'd like to encourage activity authors to work on getting
> >> these clarifications, if needed, committed into GIT.
> >>
> >> For example, if your activity doesn't contain a license file that states
> >> unambiguously the licenses of the *whole* activity and all of its
> >> bundled libraries, a kind of per-file licensing would be good, as some
> >> files would be otherwise without a license specification.
> >>
> >> I'm not trying to make things up here, but am rather just realistic, as
> >> such things are simply blockers. I'll try to follow up with people...
> >
> > Actually, another topic is the SoaS boot screen. Since we need to get
> > that packaged in Fedora in time (meaning basically as soon as possible),
> > we need to have a public location where we host a tarball or a GIT repo
> > of the boot screen picture files, together with licensing information.
> >
> > Can I just move ahead and put them in git.sl.o?
>
> Just to make sure everybody understands what this is about. If we are
> unable clarify this, there won't be a boot screen specifically for SoaS
> at all.

Or we use one of the standard fedora plymouth ones with a Sugar logo (ie a
boot screen but not the usual 'clock' style. Like the current F-12 one but
with the sugar logo.

> If nobody complains by the end of this weekend, I'll just upload the
> images, put a GPLv2+ license in the archive and make a tarball, as this
> is what they've been listed under in Strawberry and Blueberry, too.

 Not sure whether that is such a good idea. I know at least dsd has
contributed to the boot_splash stuff. Might be worth checking with him.

Peter