[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Feature Status - Tasks for the next days

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Feb 9 03:40:51 EST 2010

Hi,

in yesterday's developer meeting (thanks Tomeu for bringing that back to
the surface!) we went through the status of the Features reflected here
[1].

First a few words on what will happen this week:

Reviewing and Landing the Features already in review
- Who: Feature owner, module maintainers
- Due: Wednesday morning

New Tarballs
- Who: module maintainers
- Due: should be available latest by Wednesday evening

Packaging the tarballs for Fedora
- Who: the amazing Fedora packaging team
- Due: Ideally Thursday evening

Producing a Soas-Image for testing
I did a F12 image containing the latest 0.87.x rpms and it worked fine,
I will do another one with the latest rpms.
- Who: Simon
- Due: Friday evening

Making a testplan for each Feature
Fill out the "How to test" section in the Feature page. This should be
as detailed as possible, imagine what could possibly go wrong
- Who: Feature owner
- Due: Friday evening

Testing day on Saturday 13th of February 2010
Everyone is welcome to test the Soas image containing the bleeding edge
0.87.x Sugar. I will send out another note about the testing day details.

The long term roadmap leading to 0.88 can be seen here [1b].

*** Enhanced Color Selector
The enhanced color selector did go over several design iterations.
Finally, in last Saturday's design meeting we went back to an initial
design. The design is clear and we hope it gives a good way to users to
find their desired color. Walter provided a new patch based on a review
from Aleksey and asked for another review. Christian has done another
mockup. Both can be found in [2].

If the review is going well, we will land it in the next days. This will
only change the color selector in the Control Panel, not the initial
screen. As we are late in the development cycle, already this change
would be too invasive.

*** 3G Support
Basic functionality has already been landed. We have 3 other patches
that enhance the Feature pending review. Tomeu will take care of the
review and we hope we can round the Feature up in the next days. We
still need the icon for the frame device and Control Panel section.

If you have a 3G Modem it would be great you could test it and give it a
go (currently in sugar-jhbuild). Testing image ready soon.

*** Enhanced Gettext
This one is very close to land. Sayamindu updated the patch based on
reviewer feedback. [3] I will take care of another review.

*** Write to journal anytime
This one is a bit tricky. We discussed it in the design meetings several
times and as well on the mailing list. Walter summarized the current
situation in yesterday's meeting as follows:
(1) we want kids to write notes to the journal
(2) we put the naming alert in to enable/encourage that
(3) It failed on three counts: 1. only worked on exit; 2. confusing; 3.
not well integrated.
(4) we could make the naming alert available at any time to address #1
(5) we could have the naming alert take you directly into a journal view
to address #2,3
(6) or, more simply, replace the naming alert with a little text entry
widget

We mainly agreed that (6) would be a good way forward. Though the code
is not finished yet and it changes API. On the other hand there was a
big interest to enhance the current situation, mainly: we want kids to
write notes to the journal. It was proposed to try different approaches
in testing, and if we feel strongly about it, the Feature could be
backported. As 0.84 (which contains the naming alter) becomes available
in a broad range soon, this might be important. Full logs about the
discussion can be found in [4].

*** Font configuration
The Feature Status was marked 100%, as the gconf setting to set the Font
size did land already. The UI to change the font size does not make it
for 0.88 and has been postponed to 0.90. The settings manager Sayamindu
has been proposing is needed to update the font when changing the size
in the control panel without restarting Sugar [5]. We decided
to keep this separate till it gets a reasonable amount of packaging
done.

*** Dotted_Activity_Versions
This has been going to a first round of review [6]. There is a little
bug that has to been investigated. This hopefully happens in the next
days. Quite close, too.

Thanks everyone for all the hard work on the Features and following the
Feature process.

Regards,
    Simon

[1]