[Sugar-devel] More new and revised chapters of "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" ready for review, feedback

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:35:06 EST 2010

In this latest draft I have added a not quite complete chapter on
Making Shared Activities.  The part that is missing is on using DBus
Tubes to remotely call methods, and it's missing because I've never
done it.  I do plan to learn how to do this, come up with a decent
example program (something fancier than Hello Mesh), and write it up
in the book, but it will take awhile.  The new draft is at:

http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/ActivitiesGuideSugar-en-2010.02.03-18.11.39.pdf

I found out yesterday that copying code from PDF's, either the OBJAVI!
version here or the one the Floss Manuals website produces, does NOT
work.  In one case you get garbage and in the second you get code with
no indents.  I have set up a Git repository for the sample code in the
book and I will change all the references to copying and pasting code
to "Open file name in the Git project you downloaded".

I actually had to learn things about Activity Sharing to write the new
chapter, so I am VERY concerned that what I think I learned is
correct.  I don't want to lead anyone astray!

I have reached the point in the book where the stuff I already know is
pretty much done.  From now on I'll be learning as I go.  If you've
been giving this project the benefit of the doubt now is a good time
to stop doing that.

Thanks,

James Simmons