[Sugar-devel] pygame activities stop XO sleep?

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Dec 30 17:21:27 EST 2010

peter wrote:
 > Hope this is the right place for this my first post.
 >
 > It seems that my pygame activities prevent the XO (both models) from going
 > to sleep. This problem persists even after my activity has stopped.
 >
 > Someone suggested that this happens with other pygame activities.
 >
 > Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

i just downloaded Boxes (aside:  i haven't played that game in a very
very very long time, and in fact, had entirely forgotten about it.
and, it brought back bad memories -- i don't recall being very good at
it.  :-)

while running, Boxes consumes over 80% of the CPU (on my 1.5), even
though the display is, as far as i can tell, completely static.  if
this happens with other pygame-based activities, then something is
broken in pygame.  the power manager on the XO is configured to
prevent the laptop from suspending if it perceives the laptop to be
very busy.  there's no way to tell whether it's "good busy" or "wasted
energy busy", so the laptop won't suspend while Boxes is running.

when i quit the activity, however, the laptop suspends normally.

paul