[Sugar-devel] Colors! Activity status

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 11:58:50 EST 2010

Hey Chris,

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:13 PM, chm <devel.chm.01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've built a wacom tablet kernel driver
> for 10.1.3beta and have been able to run
> Colors! with a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet.
> This was the first time since leaving
> os802 on the XO-1.  Yippee!

Wonderful!  I wonder if OLPC would be up for including your module in future
distributions by default.  Wacom Bamboo tablets are easily within reach of
most school budgets and add to the experience of many activities, not just
Colors!.

I notice some problems with a solid,
> full-pressure/full-size dot at the
> beginning of a stroke.  That was fixed
> previously by some of the tablet driver
> settings but I don't recall the details.

I believe I tried to work around this in the Colors! code at some point too.
We were getting some extraneous mouse signals with no pressure data, which
Colors! interprets as full pressure.

Also, I used the Copy widget to save a
> drawing to the clipboard and thence to
> the Journal.  Unfortunately, I could
> not figure out how to save the "playable"
> version of the drawing to the Journal.

Just stop the activity, the Journal entry for the activity contains the
strokes.  Or did you want the .drw file to say, upload to the Colors!
gallery?

> Finally, I downloaded the git sources
> from the gitorious and I think I'll be
> able to figure out how to get more of
> the wacom tablet features available.
> Specifically, the Bamboo has a Ring
> that could be used to dial for the
> color selector.  There are a number of
> other buttons as well that could be used
> to reduce/eliminate the need to go to the
> XO keyboard while drawing.  It would be
> cool if one could draw while in e-book
> mode for the XO-1.

That would be awesome - I'd love to see the hue / saturation / value
assigned to those.  My tablet only has linear sliders.  I wonder how the
mapping should work?

If you'd like to collaborate on this, I have a couple weeks off after the
Holidays and am hoping to get some activity work done.

Best,
Wade