[Sugar-devel] Wacom Bamboo with Colors! on > XO-1 (again)?

chm devel.chm.01 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 10:49:11 EST 2010

On 12/21/2010 8:00 PM, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 07:42:36PM -0500, Chris Marshall wrote:
>> On 12/21/2010 7:34 PM, James Cameron wrote:
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> At this stage it does not seem likely that it will be fixed soon.  I
>>> suggest you either rebuild the kernel or abandon your plan.
>>
>> I'm more hopeful now that there is a "known" patch
>> to the issue.  I just need to get up the kernel
>> rebuilding learning curve with the XO-1.  :-)
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Rebuilding_OLPC_kernel#Newer_versions has a
> simple method ... you do a git clone, then apply the patch from the
> ticket, then use xo_1_defconfig and then xo_1-kernel-rpm targets.
>
>> I can get there but it is slow going with an XO-1
>> as the working system....
>
> Yes, it would be.  Is that the only way you can build a kernel?  You
> might instead use a Fedora 11 virtual machine on a faster computer.
> I've done this on a couple of Macs.
>
> If you are stuck with an XO-1, and you have a spare USB HDD, then plug
> that in and do the kernel build in a directory on that HDD.  It is much
> faster than NAND flash.  Turn off power management as well.

Thanks for the suggestions and the reminder of how slow
NAND can be.  I've added a USB stick for swap and yum
caching and another for the kernel git and compile.

I've been able to check out the kernel sources and am
about to try the configure and compile.  I think I
may not even need to install the built kernel, just
point the linuxwacom build to the kernel source dir
location.

Looks promising so far...

--Chris