[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Moving On.

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:14:42 EST 2010

Sebastian,

Firstly a massive THANK YOU! I think Sugar as a whole is better off
for Sugar on a Stick and your work from my perspective at least is
greatly appreciated!

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com> wrote:
> The Short Version: As many of you might have noticed, my activities within
> Sugar Labs have been fading lately. I'd like to take the only responsible
> step and hand my responsibilities off.
> The Long Version: I didn't expect to see myself writing this email. I'm
> currently a student at Olin working really hard to make it through finals
> and at the same time fighting RSI and dealing with other things
> (http://sdziallas.com/blog/sebastian/2010/11/a-kid-in-the-candy-store.html).
> But I also feel that I've been dragging this e-mail out way too long. I'm
> sorry. Nevertheless, I'm proud of what we accomplished over the past years.
> I have great memories from the initial release of Sugar on a Stick at
> LinuxTag
> (http://sdziallas.com/blog/sebastian/2009/06/strawberries-for-everyone-now.html)
> and I still smile when I think of how we recovered from the ridiculous
> unsustainability of the second release
> (http://opensource.com/education/09/12/tasty-blueberry) and eventually even
> made the third release as a team together
> (http://sdziallas.com/blog/sebastian/2010/05/mirabelles-they-are-there.html).
> Looking back, I found myself skimming old wiki pages and blog posts
> (http://blog.melchua.com/2010/06/04/the-history-of-the-soas-mirabelle-release-learning-from-the-past/).
> I'm particularly thankful for the experiences I had and the people I met.
> However, I feel that it's time to move on. I'll be unsubscribing from a
> couple of mailing lists, but I'll continue to work on bridging open source
> and education on various levels and I'm always open to direct email. Just a
> ping away. Email this address.
> For Sugar on a Stick, Peter Robinson has alreading been leading the effort
> up to the latest Mango Lassi release of Sugar on a Stick and done an
> incredible work over the past year, leaving me confident that everything was
> taken care of when I had to focus on my studies (both in Germany and the
> US). I know from personal experience that taking on this work isn't an easy
> task and I don't want to assume that you're just going to continue doing it
> infinitely. It is your call. But you've done a great job. Thanks, Peter!

I will continue for the moment. I myself have been going through a
number of changes, my free time is not what it was 6 months ago but I
don't want to see SoaS die as a think its a worthwhile project. I
would love to see other people get involved in the maintenance of the
project.

I'm already moving towards SoaS-5 and Fedora 15. I've not had time
over the last couple of months but have some time off over the new
year so would love to hear what people are planning for SoaS-5 and
what they would like to see. In terms of features there's a LOT coming
from upstream Fedora 15 but I'm not sure what the Sugar team has
planned for Sugar 0.92 as yet. Personally I would love to see some
testing of languages other than English and support for EU languages
(Sean... hint hint ;-) ).

Cheers,
Peter