[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Messages notification

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-4 at silbe.org
Sat Dec 11 04:55:08 EST 2010

Excerpts from Anish Mangal's message of Wed Nov 17 15:02:56 +0100 2010:

> * On top of ui changes, would it also make sense to play some
> 'notification' sounds as well? The HIG doesn't say anything about
> sounds AFAIK

That would be useful in some cases, but we need to be careful. We don't
want
a) audio spam
b) to annoy the environment / embarrass the user (think of your phone
   ringing while you're in class)

Let's leave that for the next iteration.

> * Or flashing an icon or doing 'something' with the UI exactly when
> the notification occurs.

We already do, but it's too subtle. Subtlety is good (counters the
danger of visual spam), but I often miss the notification (which
obviously isn't good).

> Your screenshot [1] looks very good to me. How about adding another
> button "Display next 5 notations" next to the "Clear" one.

Something like that would be fine, except that I'd let it open the
activity-centric view [2] in the Journal instead of displaying the
additional items inside the palette (as I suppose you wanted to do).

Sascha

[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#01
--
http://sascha.silbe.org/