[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Messages notification

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 10 23:48:06 EST 2010

Hi Frederick,

On 11 Dec 2010, at 04:24, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On 8 Dec 2010, at 05:11, Martin Abente wrote:
>
> > The design looks great, and I like the fact that it attaches each notification to its real context when there is a visible one (i,e an activity, journal, battery device icon, etc).
> >
> > How would it work with notifications that are not related to an activity or with a visible context?
>
> Notifications not related to an activity or existing visible context would pulse and add new icons in the same way that transfer to/from notifications are designed. Here's an example showing your schoolserver institutional broadcast message example:
>
>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Notifications#School_server_messages
>
> Thanks for these mock-ups!
>
> As an aside, but relevant to implementation design, the schoolserver icon colors should probably be determined by a characteristic of the schoolserver (for consistency among learners or on instances with different learner names), much like the access point colors are derived from the SSID.

Absolutely +1 from me:) However, I conciously used the owners colour in this mockup as it is how the schoolserver icon is currently being coloured (in Dextrose, for the backup/restore to schoolserver Journal feature; no one else is using it to my knowledge). The schoolserver icon (with it's unique colours based on its own identity key) should also appear in the neighbourhood view allowing registration (rather than the current hack of having register via the users XO icon palette), and would help provide some visual cue as a child/teacher moves from one school or network to another, as they would see the different colour icon and be able to re-register to that new server.

Regards,
--Gary