[Sugar-devel] prevent screen rotation in a sugar activity?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Dec 10 18:09:19 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 05:50:54PM -0500, Bakhtiar Mikhak wrote:
> If I am reading the current version of HIG correctly, it is not a
> requirement for developers to implement a portrait layout for their
> activity:
>
>     Screen Rotation
>
>     While in Hand-held mode, the laptops support screen rotation; by
>     pressing a small button on the bezel of the display, the interface
>     will rotate 90 degrees to provide a portrait layout of the
>     currently active activity. Just as any activity can implement
>     Hand-held mode, those which can benefit from a vertical aspect
>     ratio may also implement this feature, and we encourage developers
>     to take advantage of this functionality.

Agreed, it is not a requirement for the activity to implement portrait
layout.  When it is not implemented, part of the activity would be
invisible after rotation.  The learner will rapidly find the activity
does not work well when rotated, and will avoid rotating.

> I therefore think it is worth considering if the control over if/how
> one's activity takes advantage of screen rotation should be exposed
> through the Sugar API.

Sounds good, please propose a design and patch.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/