[Sugar-devel] UI: Advice about UI changes in Write

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Sat Dec 4 17:27:49 EST 2010

FWIW, this is the "font-sizing code" I ended up using in my three activities (OurMusic, SunMoonMusic and FileMix). It is contained near the beginning of the csndsugui.py module.

It contains an option for the user to resize text in the given activity for the particular monitor, and sizes for OLPC (XO-1/XO-1.5), SoaS 0.84 and up. Thank goodness, from Mirabelle upward, SoaS seems not to be changing font size.

All multiplication factors were determined empirically - by filling a screen width with text (the starting point was the OLPC display), then seeing what modifications were necessary for the various incarnations of SoaS.

The code works well for all versions of Sugar I've tried, as well as monitors.

    def scale_font(self, widget):
      font = widget.get_pango_context().get_font_description()

# The FONT DISPLAY in this activity can be resized (smaller or larger)
# by changing the value of "resize" below. "Resize" can be positive
# or negative, and is not limited to integers. A value of 1 equals a
# point in font size.
      resize = 0

      font_size = font.get_size() + (resize * 1024)
      width = gtk.gdk.screen_width()
      mult = width * .00076
      if os.path.exists("/etc/olpc-release") or os.path.exists("/etc/power/olpc-pm"):
        mult = width * .00082
      elif os.path.exists("/etc/fedora-release"):
        release = open("/etc/fedora-release").read()
        if release.find("SoaS release 1 ") != -1:
          mult = width * .00132
        elif release.find("SoaS release 2 ") != -1:
          mult = width * .00085
        elif release.find("Fedora release ") != -1:
          mult = width * .00119
      font.set_size(int(font_size * mult))
      widget.modify_font(font)

Art Hunkins