[Sugar-devel] Bump Python dependency from 2.5 to 2.6

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-2 at silbe.org
Thu Aug 26 12:31:55 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Simon Schampijer's message of Wed Aug 25 16:23:46 +0200 2010:

> Is it sane to switch to this Python version for the Sugar platform? More
> readings on what is new in 2.6 at [2]. Python 2.6 is available in F11,
> hence 0.84. Not sure for the other distributions...
Debian recently switched to 2.6 and it was a rather painful transition
(some of the Python modules I use in my own software are still broken,
e.g. python-hid). I can imagine that quite a few distros are still at
2.5. OTOH I don't know of anyone packaging Sugar for a distro that
doesn't have Python 2.6...

For the core packages, I'd say we switch as soon as there's a good reason
(e.g. because someone submits a patch that uses the multiprocessing
module or prepares Sugar for py3k).

For Sugar Platform, let's go for Python 2.6. There are quite a few changes
that activity authors might like (e.g. fractions, HTTP connection
timeouts, math.isinf()/isnan()).

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/