[Sugar-devel] Feature Freeze exception request: Journal Sort

Andrés Ambrois andresambrois at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 13:56:05 EDT 2010

On Monday, August 23, 2010 02:12:38 pm Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 19:09, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:

What

> >> If are talking about UI representaion, then it is ok ("ago" format).
> >> About internal representaion, Andrés, for what readon we store ctime in
ISO,
> >> what about int value (to keep it in the same format as timestamp)?
> >
> > Sorry, didn't see [0] (was thinking that we dind't expose any ctime
> > fields before), what about renaming ctime ds field and using int value.
>
> Ttat sounds interesting.

If we rename it, all the activities that use it will need to be fixed. If we
just create a new one with a different name, then we will have redundant
metadata.

The DS needs to expose ctime in the %Y-%m-%d format for activities such as
Etoys anyway, so we might as well use that format on disk and spare us the
conversion on each query.

As for localization, the journal part need to be correctly localized, but the
format we expose in the DS service is part of the API, not a user-visible
string. I would even say that it is easier to understand what you mean by
'2010-08-23T14:51:14' than by 1282585874.0, almost everywhere in the world. A
good argument for the float format is that it is easier to convert with the
python library.

--
  -Andrés