[Sugar-devel] Feature Freeze exception request: Journal Sort

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 23 03:25:48 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 01:24, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Implement sorting in the Journal UI. Also adds support for the two new
> properties (filesize and ctime).
>
> Feature page:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Journal_Sort
>
> Implementations:
> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-datastore/repos/journal_sort
> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/journal_sort

Some questions:

- what with hard links? Aren't users going to expect that if they
delete an entry of 50MB that their available space will be increased
by 50MB?

- creation time will be always displayed as '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S' ? What
about those countries where they expect the fields being ordered in a
different way? (may be good to format the string in listview.py
instead of in listmodel.py, so we keep UI decisions out from the
model).

- if we are not interested in sorting by title, we should remove that
field from the index, because makes the index bigger and also slows
queries down a bit.

- seems like this feature is still in dicussion in
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1915 so I don't think it makes sense
to accept it for inclusion in 0.90 at this stage. Also would be good
to have the feature first accepted in the release set before
eventually merging it.

Regards,

Tomeu