[Sugar-devel] Enabling logging by default

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Aug 18 21:26:05 EDT 2010

El Wed, 18-08-2010 a las 15:38 -0400, Luke Faraone escribió:
> On 08/18/2010 03:36 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> > El Wed, 18-08-2010 a las 15:19 -0400, Luke Faraone escribió:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was looking at Sugar on Ubuntu, and we were considering enabling
> >> logging (in ~/.sugar/debug) by default. Is there any reason not to do
> >> this, when targeting machines that aren't resource constrained like the XO?
> >>
> >> Would it be sensible to have it enabled as a default upstream in Sugar?
> >
> > Logging *is* enabled by default, not just at the most noisy level.
> > Personally, I rarely change the values in ~/.sugar/debug because I find
> > the extra messages a useless distraction. All errors are being logged
> > anyway.
>
> Can't the more verbose logging be filtered out if necessary? It's easier
> than another round trip to try and get more verbose logs.

Most existing software defaults not to log anything below warnings
because the extra noise in the logs is very annoying and can cause a lot
of overhead.

In Sugar, you get dozens of log lines just by hovering the cursor over
icons. This stuff almost never helps finding an actual bug and would
have to be filtered 99% of the time by pre-pending a regular expression
to the usual tail -f.