[Sugar-devel] Killing activities when memory gets short

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Aug 11 21:18:51 EDT 2010

G'day Gary,

Thanks for testing.

Yes, the process killed by OOM is less predictable than I would like.
It might be the activity being started that is killed, or an activity
that is already running, or the Sugar session.

In my experience, it is almost always a process that was allocating
memory at the time.  OOM is triggered at the time a process allocates
memory and there is none available.

Unfortunately, the Sugar session process repeatedly allocates memory
during activity startup in order to provide the launcher animation.  I
think that is why it is occasionally selected by the kernel for being
killed.

I would prefer that the Sugar session process delegate the launcher
animation to another process that can be safely killed.

I understand also that the Sugar session might indicate to the kernel
that it should be considered a bit more important than the activities.

Yes, prelink in build has been with us for months.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/